Since those of you who are among the over 82 million pet owners in the U.S. really celebrate National Pet Month every day of the year, you'll be glad to know you can consider taking your cat or dog along with you when you vacation, by staying in a pet friendly timeshare. RedWeek.com has a special "pet friendly" link under its "Features and Attractions" section, where you'll easily find timeshares that allow pets.
The American Pet Products Association (APPA) numbers indicate that the pet industry continues to defy the current recession. America’s spending on pets has grown despite the recession, with a 5.4 percent increase in 2009, and the APPA projects another increase of nearly 5 percent in 2010. In honor of National Pet Month, here are some more fun statistics.
- 90% of pet owners surveyed say they consider their pet a member of the family.
- 63% of dog owners and 58% of cat owners surveyed said they give their pets presents at Christmas.
- 36% of dog owners give their pets presents on their birthday, as do 20% of cat owners.
- 64% of surveyed pet owners said they include news about their pet, and 36% include a photograph, in their holiday cards.
- About a third (37%) of dog owners and a similar proportion of cat owners (31%) have their pet's picture prominently displayed in their homes, and 14% and 10%, respectively, display it at their place of work.